Do you love modern rustic or farmhouse style décor? Here's a modern rustic spring table setting perfect for spring and Easter entertaining but elegant enough for rustic wedding table centerpieces too.
At the beginning of the week, I shared my kitchen decorated for spring as part of the 2022 spring home tours. As promised, today, I'm sharing how I decorated my modern rustic spring table. This rustic Easter tablescape is one of my favorites so far and I've taken lots of photos so that you'll be able to see it from every angle!
If you'd like to re-create my modern rustic spring tablescape, I've sourced similar decorative items that you will find listed further down this post.
Table of contents
Modern and rustic, is that even a thing?
Even though the terms 'modern' and 'rustic' are contradictory they combine surprisingly well in the interior design world. When searching for images relating to 'modern rustic living room' or 'modern rustic dining room' online, you'll probably find that the same images are presented as are for the term 'modern farmhouse style'. In fact, the two interior styles are similar in that they each combine traditional warm rustic style with simple modern elegance. You will also find that the use of materials like wood, metal, and other natural elements is a common theme in both decorating styles.
Modern rustic style design elements
The easiest way to bring the modern rustic style to your home is by incorporating some of the following design elements:
- Warm tones
- Industrial elements
- Rustic décor
- Natural materials
- Rustic wood
- Wood beams
- Natural textures
- Earth tones
Spring dining table - color pallet
To create my modern rustic spring table this year, I'm mixing lots of textures and floral arrangements while keeping the color pallet neutral. This year, instead of using pink flowers, I've used flowering spring plants in pastel shades to set the tone of the table.
Because our dining room is full of painted furniture in a vintage look, I find that tablescapes with a muted color pallet suit our living space best. That's not to say that you can't introduce pops of color to a modern rustic spring table, you certainly can. Some of the best ways of introducing color to table centerpieces are by using fresh flowers and colorful napkins or napkin rings.
Styling a modern rustic spring table
Dining table décor
Once the color pallet is decided upon, it's time to decide on the decorative pieces and items which give the table its aesthetic appeal and modern style. By, 'aesthetic appeal' I mean, the items which give balance, weight, and movement to the tablescape. Items such as candlesticks, mercury glass, lanterns, votive candles, placemats, and other accent pieces. There are many different ways to create aesthetic appeal, see the list further down this post for more rustic décor ideas.
Start with a table runner
When I'm thinking about how I want to style my table for spring and Easter, I start by choosing a table runner.
For this rustic spring tablescape, I've decided to keep it simple with a white linen table runner which creates the perfect base for my spring tablescape.
Linen fabric adds texture to the table and helps to create the casual spring vibe that I'm going for. I'll also be using some homemade linen napkins cut from the same cloth for my dinner table place settings.
Of course, if you prefer, you could use a pretty tablecloth instead of a runner, it's entirely up to you.
Create a modern rustic centerpiece
Although I've created this centerpiece for Easter or spring, if you are looking for modern rustic wedding décor, this is elegant enough for wedding receptions too.
Take a look at this DIY textured vase tutorial for a modern rustic table centerpiece idea.
Spring flowers for the dining table
The large windows in our dining room mean that this room is flooded with light. If your dining room gets lots of natural light as ours does, an easy way to create a fresh vibe is by incorporating fresh flowers or plants in your table decor.
Decorating a room with fresh flowers or plants gives it a natural, organic vibe and makes the space feel cozier.
Create a focal point
A favorite idea of mine is to create a focal point at the center of the dining table then to carry the same theme along the rest of the table.
The key element is metal. Three small galvanized metal planters are filled with spring flowering plants with rustic metal frames adding a little bit of whimsy.
At center stage is a large wood slice that I've covered with some faux greenery. A natural fiber coaster underneath the galvanized flower pot adds to the rustic look. This rustic décor style would look just as good on a console table as on your dining table.
Easter bunny table décor
An Easter bunny or two is never amiss on an Easter tablescape especially if you are going for a farmhouse look.
I found these wooden bunny table decorations locally and think they add an element of fun to my spring dining table decor. Apart from adding wood bunnies to the table centerpiece, I've sprinkled them around the rest of the table too.
TIP: Try sprinkling small speckled Easter eggs around the table instead of wooden Easter bunnies. Blown-out quails eggs would be perfect and will add more texture to a rustic-style tablescape.
Modern rustic metal lanterns
Two rustic metal and glass storm lanterns flank each side of the main table centerpiece. The lanterns are meant for hanging which is why they have a chain attached but I love decorating with them throughout the house. You can see how I used one of these lanterns in my modern farmhouse-style office update last winter. Metal lanterns definitely add to the rustic style I'm going for with this spring table yet at the same time, they have a modern and elegant style.
TIP: Instead of storm lanterns, use taper candles in rustic candlesticks or mercury glass votives to create rustic style, ambient lighting on your dining table.
Modern rustic spring place settings
Rustic style placemats
Using natural fiber place sets is one of the best ways to instantly add a touch of rustic charm to any spring or Easter tablescape. Because of their oval shape, the seagrass place sets I'm using today are perfect if you only have a small space available on the dining table.
White plates are simple, classic, and suit almost every design style. It's easy to dress up white dishes and plates with pretty napkins in spring. Whether you prefer pastel or bright colors, with white plates as your base, you can create many different styles for your dining table.
Today, I'm dressing up my white plates with simple white linen napkins folded into a bow shape and held together with raffia napkin rings.
I've found the perfect place for my flatware which I've slipped underneath the napkin bows for a less formal look.
TIP: If you want to get creative, I have a tutorial for making raffia napkin rings with dried flowers here. I also have a tutorial with step-by-step instructions for how to fold a napkin into a bow here.
Simple dinner table glassware
I've added the same simple wine glasses to my table as I always use. The beauty of using classic tableware is that it will fit with any decorating style.
If I'm not sure what my guests will want to drink, I'll add a wine glass and a water glass to my table settings. I can always change out the glasses if needed once the guests arrive.
Today, I'm using pretty water glasses in a delicate shade of green. Using colored glasses is another simple way to add a pop of color to your spring table.
Re-create this modern rustic spring table
A note about the listed products: If you order a product from one of the partners via links on this page, I receive a small percentage. I only recommend products that I have already used myself or have selected with care. You pay the same price whether you use my affiliate link or not. Please read my full disclosure here.
If you're interested in re-creating this modern rustic spring table, I've sourced some similar items and listed them below. Let's take a look at what I found:
Modern rustic decor items
Planters and lanterns
- Galvanized Planters - I found these super cute galvanized planters which are not the same but very similar to the planters I used on my tablescape. The good news is, you can use these planters in the garden afterward. I also think that these galvanized metal buckets would look amazing filled with spring flowers for your coffee table or side table too.
- Metal wire birdcage plant holder – This metal plant holder is similar to the one on my tablescape. I think I actually prefer this one since you can place the plant pot directly inside it. This plant holder also has a similar shape to my rustic metal storm lanterns. I also found a similar metal birdcage plant holder which is a little taller and this wire cage planter which has a rounder shape. I find that mixing textures gives a tablescape so much character and adding these wire planters is a simple way of doing that.
- Modern rustic metal lanterns – These decorative, vintage metal hurricane lanterns are very similar to the lanterns I used in my tablescape and can also be used for hanging. I also found these distressed black birdcage lanterns with a little metal bird attached which look so cute.
Table runner, napkins and placemats
- Natural fiber coasters – On my modern rustic spring table, I placed natural fiber coasters on top of the wood slices to create more texture and interest.
- White linen table runner – I found this beautiful white linen hemstitched table runner which is also very affordable. After looking around, I also found this linen table runner which looks a little more rustic, like my homemade runner.
- White linen napkins – These gorgeous linen napkins are from the same company as the linen table runner above. At the time of writing, you can get them at 10% off. If you prefer something with a little color you can get lots of different shades of napkins in this shop too. Linen napkins have a more informal look to them but if you prefer cotton fabric, these white cotton napkins are a great option.
- Straw placemats – These are the same placemats that I used on my modern rustic spring table. The placemats also come in a round shape if you prefer.
Glasses and plates
- Water glasses – These beautiful water glasses have a similar shade to the glasses I've used in my modern rustic tablescape. You can also find the Italian green-tinted water glasses here. I love my green water glasses, they add just a hint of color to the table without being overpowering. You can use glasses like these throughout spring and summer for a fresh modern look.
- Wine glasses – These all-purpose wine glasses with a stem are similar to the glasses I used on my rustic tablescape.
- Rustic white plates – These would look amazing for a rustic-style table setting. If you prefer something a little more traditional, these white porcelain dinner plates with rings would also look great.
- Rustic napkin rings – Here are some natural rustic farmhouse napkin rings available in three different patterns. I love these natural napkin rings so much and would consider buying something like them if I hadn't already made some myself.
- Natural wood slices – These look very similar to the ones I'm using in my spring tablescape. Wood slices like these are always a good investment if you like to decorate in the modern rust style. You can see how I used them as a wood base for modern rustic spring vignettes here.
I hope this post has inspired you and given you ideas for creating a modern rustic spring table yourself! Whether you choose to re-create this tablescape or not, remember that even the simplest DIY can make a huge difference in brightening up a holiday tablescape.
PS: You can get similar tufted upholstered dining chairs here ;).
These posts are good too
Don't forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter through the form at the end of this post if you want to receive more creative ideas and DIY projects directly into your inbox. Additionally, you will gain access to our free e-books and printables library.
Sharing at these link parties.