I’ve tried a few body creams and lotions in my time but I’ve never quite found one that totally suits me. Until now! Since I started using my homemade organic body butter I don’t even contemplate buying commercial brands. I especially like that I know exactly what I’m putting on my skin = no yucky chemicals with names I can’t even pronounce! Whipped body butter is so easy to make, you can have a batch ready in a few minutes.
Please pin this idea
If you'd like to save this whipped body butter idea for later, be sure to pin it to your most relevant Pinterest board - hover over or tap the top left corner of the image below and the Pinterest 'Save' button will appear.
Table of contents
Homemade organic body butter
My skin tends to be on the dry side, especially during winter when humidity is low. The commercial skincare products I've used so far have either been too greasy or sink into my skin in minutes leaving my skin feeling just as dry as before.
This homemade organic body butter leaves my skin feeling gorgeously silky smooth and soft. Whipped body butter sinks in just enough that it doesn't feel greasy but I can still feel the protective, nourishing layer protecting my skin all day long.
NOTE: All the natural products I make have been used by myself and my family (unless otherwise stated). This does not mean that the products will be safe for you personally. I always recommend testing the product on a small area of your body first in order to rule out possible allergies or adverse reactions. Simply rub a small amount of the finished product onto the inside of your wrist and watch for any irritation or redness.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have diabetes, please check with your health practitioner whether it is safe for you to use essential oils. You may also find the following information from Organic Aromas helpful 'Essential Oils Safety'
Oils for making whipped body butter
Last summer, I made up a batch of calendula oil so I used that to make this whipped body butter recipe. If you don't have calendula oil, any light oil will do. Almond or olive oil are both good choices for making whipped body butter skincare. Organic ingredients are always the best choice for making this nourishing organic body butter.
Homemade Organic body butter - ingredients
- ½ cup/120ml Calendula Oil
- ½ cup/60g Coconut Oil | USA | D | UK |
- ½ cup Shea Butter | USA | D | UK |
- ½ tsp Essential Oil (I used tea tree).
How to make whipped body butter
- Place the Calendula oil, Coconut oil and Shea butter into a glass bowl or jug. If you have a double boiler, use that instead. I don't have one and for this recipe, I used a glass measuring jug with a handle which I hooked over the side of a saucepan of simmering water. What's important is that the bottom of the glass bowl does not rest on the bottom of the saucepan othrwise the mixture may burn.
- Heat the mixture gently until all the oils have melted.
- Stir well and set aside to cool.
- Place in the fridge for around an hour or until firm to the touch.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whist the mixture until is takes on a creamy whipped texture. At this point add the essential oil and whip again to mix.
- Spoon the mixture into a glass jar or container. I use small glass containers from Weck. I made some pretty labels for mine which are downloadable from the Chalking Up Success subscriber library.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Before you go, if you’re not part of our amazing creative community yet but would love to join us, you can sign up for the weekly newsletter through the form below – we’d love to have you on board. By signing up, you’ll also receive a copy of the free ‘Furniture Flip Checklist’ and gain access to all the other printables, e-books and labels in the VIP Resource Library.
Enjoyed this post? Show your support!
Please consider leaving a comment if you enjoyed this whipped body butter post. I also very much appreciate shares to Pinterest or social media - it really helps me a lot and only costs you a minute of your time!